Basmati Rice Recipes: 5 Delicious Ways to Cook
Basmati is one of the premium quality varieties of long-grain rice. Known for its unique aroma and fluffy texture, it is perfect for many rice recipes and Indian curries. So, if you’re also looking to try out something new at home, these basmati rice recipes may become your next favourite.
#1 Veg Pulao Using Basmati Rice
Pulao, or pilaf, is one of the famous dishes made using long-grain rice, such as Daawat Original Basmati Rice. It is excellent on its own or can be paired with raita. Check out the recipe:
- 5 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil/olive oil
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 large or two small-sized chopped onions.
- 1 large tomato
- 2 cups of finely chopped veggies (carrot, beans, cauliflower, potato, etc.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- ½ teaspoon jeera
- 1 small strand mace
- Star anise
- Heat cooking oil in a pan.
- Sauté whole spices in the oil until they become fragrant.
- Sauté thin-sliced onions on a low-to-medium flame until golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, green chilli, tomatoes and sauté for a few seconds.
- Finally, add veggies and soaked basmati rice. Mix gently!
- Pour 3 cups of water into the pan.
- Cover and cook the rice until all the water is absorbed.
- Once the rice grains are cooked, fluff them and let the rice stand for 5 minutes, covered with the lid.
- Serve pulao garnished with coriander leaves (cilantro), mint leaves or fried onions.
#2 Chicken and Basmati Rice Soup
If you are a chicken soup lover, then this recipe is for you. It is one of the most delicious basmati rice recipes to try at home:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- Celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots chopped
- 8 to 10 cups chicken stock
- 1kg cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 1/2 cups cooked basmati rice
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add onions, celery and carrots in hot oil.
- Sauté the added vegetables until soft.
- Add stock, chicken, sage, thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cook at low temperature for 30 minutes.
- In the end, add cooked basmati rice and heat it for a minute or two.
- Serve it in soup bowls and garnish with coriander or mint leaves.
#3 Creamy Rice Pudding
Creamy rice pudding is something you can’t resist. Tasty, old-fashioned rice pudding is typically made with premium quality rice, such as Tilda Basmati Rice. The combination of rice, milk, egg, sugar, raisins, and vanilla is something you will love. Here is the recipe:
- 4 cups full-fat milk
- 1 cup basmati rice
- High-quality whipping cream
- White/brown granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- Vanilla and raisins
- Pour the milk into a deep cooking container.
- Bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- While the milk is boiling, mix eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla in a separate pan.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add basmati rice and reduce the heat.
- Stir down the mixture until the rice is tender.
- If needed, add hot milk to avoid scorching the rice.
- Once the rice is tender, take the pot off the heat.
- Slowly add this rice and milk mixture to the mix of eggs.
- Now, add the complete mixture into the pot again.
- Heat it over medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Serve in dessert bowls with lunch or dinner.
#4 Baked Basmati Rice with Seasonal Pumpkin
Baked pumpkin and basmati rice is the perfect midweek meal for a chilly evening. Here is the steps for mouth licking basmati rice recipe:
- 250g of basmati rice
- 4 shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 500g of pumpkin chopped
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 50g of flaked almonds
- 600ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil/olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Sauté shallots and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, thyme and flaked almonds.
- Heat them for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Pour the vegetable stock into the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C for 15minutes.
- To bake, put the mixture into a metal dish.
- Scatter the grated cheese over it.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, remove the foil.
- Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Serve with salad, seasonal greens, and crusty bread.
#5 Lamb Biryani Using Basmati Rice
Biryani is a celebration of aroma and colours with Daawat Extra Long Basmati Rice and tender chunks of lamb. Are you wondering how to cook basmati rice for biryani? If yes, then here is the recipe:
- 2 ½ cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 black cardamom
- 3 to 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 large onions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon garlic ginger paste
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Chopped mint leaves
- 1 kg lamb
- Salt to taste
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chilli
- 1/2 tablespoons red pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- 3 teaspoon lemon juice
- Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large deep pot.
- Fry the whole spices in the hot oil until fragrant.
- Add the onions and cook until they turn lightly browned.
- Stir the garlic ginger paste into the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle the cilantro and mint over the mixture.
- Cook it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the lamb chops and season with salt.
- Cook the lamb until the meat turns brown.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder and pepper.
- Cook until the oil separates from the gravy.
- Pour yoghurt and lemon juice; cook until the lamb is tender.
- Add water as needed.
- Boil the rice in water until the rice is nearly done (85% cooked).
- Drain the excess water from rice.
- Finally, layer the rice in the bottom of the pot and add the lamb masala over the rice.
- Top with the remaining rice and saffron.
- Cover it with a lid, and cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
Serve the delicious basmati biryani with raita.
Most of the basmati rice recipes in this article can be cooked in a pan or pot. You can also use brown basmati rice to make any of the dishes mentioned above.