Getting Indian groceries in the UK is a boon. It helps Indians get a homely touch in a country far from home and enables them to make their favourite desi food items using fresh Indian spices, groceries, and vegetables. Meanwhile, it is also essential to know that due to the busy lifestyle in the UK, many people buy foodstuffs and vegetables in bulk to reduce the headache of visiting the market on a daily basis. Due to this reason, their groceries and vegetables lose their freshness. Luckily, you can follow a few ways to keep groceries, spices, and vegetables fresh. In the section below, we will discuss them.
- Indian herbs like mint, cilantro, and others tend to lose their moisture and gets dry quickly. Consider keeping these herbs in a small container filled with water to prevent them from getting dry. We also recommend placing the container beside a window so it can also get sunlight.
After buying rice from an Indian grocery store, you can consider putting some garlic or dried neem leaves into the rice bag to preserve the item. It will keep worms away from rice.
- Many people face the problem of sprouted potatoes. Are you one of them? Then keep a fresh apple in the sprouted potato bag and experience the difference. Apple produces ethylene gas that keeps potatoes fresher and firmer.
After ordering groceries, fruits, and vegetables from an Indian grocery store online in UK, many people mistake stuffing all these items in a refrigerator. However, you don't have to store all your items in a fridge. For example, tomatoes are best stored outside in a dry place. It will keep them juicy. On the other hand, you can store oranges, limes, cabbages, and apples freely outside without any packaging, and they will last for up to a week.
- Semolina tends to get infested with worms very quickly. The best way to protect them from being infested is dry roasting them. After that, store your semolina in an airtight container.
- Many people store celery in a plastic bag, but we do not recommend that. Consider keeping celery inside an aluminium foil to keep it fresh for a long period of time. The same rule is also applicable to bananas. Cover the stem with aluminium foil to keep bananas fresh.
- We always recommend people to store garam masala and other spices in a dry place. It will allow spices to last for around six months. You can also refrigerate spices. While storing spices in a fridge, ensure that they don't come in contact with water.
We hope the above tips will help you make Indian groceries, spices, and vegetables last longer. TajSpices is a leading Indian grocery store near me, offering premium spices and grocery items at the best price in the UK. We request you to visit our product pages and explore our full range of foodstuffs. We also offer free shipping on orders over £38.